High Key Wood Duck

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

The high key - first time trying this

Creative direction

Just a style that I am exploring - I certainly like the subject itself - but I wonder what others think about this type of art

Specific Feedback

as above

Technical Details

nothing unusual

Description

Photographed in Alberquerque in 2011 - year 2 of my photographic journey - a snow blizzard closed Bosque for 1 day +
Made the best of available time here in a natural preserve

Thanks @Dennis_Plank , @Robena.Sirett , @Allen_Sparks and @Kathryn_Garlick

I guess this falls into the category of Photographic Art and beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Sorry you didnt like it Robena - perfectly fine and thank you for being honest.
Took the canvas suggestions and added a border

2 Likes

For me your subject and awesome reflection are too vibrant, colourful and sharply focused for a high key background. Just personal opinion, but for a high key background I would find a muted but still sharp focus, subject, but softer colours better suited for high key, or colours more in the neutral category or even monochrome genre. Just personal opinion.

Hi, I really appreciate you are trying something different and for me, this works. It looks like a painting because the background is surreal. This really highlights the beauty and detail of a wood duck. And the reflection is intriguing too as it indicates a bit of movement in the water. I think the small wave of the water’s edge is really important to ground the images. This image also looks very intentional and not an accident of overexposed background. I am always attracted to colourful and graphic shapes. Interesting how everybody’s taste is so different. I say keep pursuing and sharing this style! I will try and get organized and get your feedback on some photos I am experimenting with. Thanks

Hi Karl, I like this. The rendition of color on the duck is really impressive - what amazing birds! They are very spooky down here so nice that you could capture one this close and with a nice reflection. Also nice that you’re showing the green and purple on the head - don’t always see that. High key isn’t really my favorite sort of composition but this would definitely be a keeper for me (and wish it were mine :grinning:). I could see cropping slightly off the top. Nice frame.

This works for me, Karl. I like the contrast of the vibrant colors of the wood duck with the featureless gray/silver background. As for composition, my eye would like just a bit more canvas on the left and a touch less at the top. A beautiful image.

An excellent job on the repost, Karl. Since I have the dark mode on the border doesn’t show,butit’s still a very good idea for a high key image.

I actually high key presentations and they can be difficult to pull off successfully. If you can mask the white areas on the duck and try to pull some details out, then that will be good. Some of the whites are featureless and melt into the BG. The reflection is good and the vibrance is OK. Overall, a good image that needs some work in post processing. BG can be cleaned up a tad too. Still a nice art piece for sure…Jim

Thank you for your valued opinion @Jim_Zablotny - have the time and inclination to show me your creativity ?

These ducks are excellent for high-key images, and you show a great example. Cheers, Hans

1 Like