Juvenile Wood Duck

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I like the peacefulness of the scene.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/640, f7.1, ISO 1600

Great job, Allen. You were very lucky to have such still water to get that lovely reflection, and I really like that you did not center the duck within the frame where it meets the water, or left to right, just to give the image a more dynamic feel. The two areas for me that need a little bit of work are LL and LR. It may require some healing or cloning but it would be cleaner if you can make those subdued or make them disappear into just water. I took the liberty of downloading your image and working on those corners. Quick fix but you get the idea.

Nice image of this young wood duck, Allen. I didn’t mind being able to see the floor of the pond or whatever-I thought it was kind of neat. To my eye the duck looks a little harsh, like it was a bit over sharpened and a bit too much contrast.

Nice catch Allen. I like the simplicity of this image with the nice reflection. I agree with lowering contrast some on the bird. Subject is well placed in the frame.

1 Like

What a great catch. You have the right angle to show off the iridescence in the feathers. It takes so much energy to molt so much to produce the different feathered phases of birds like Woodies. It serves them in the end, but it’s a lot. Others have provided some good feedback so I’ll just say that I’m a little green with envy.

1 Like

Allen - beautiful image. I would not change anything but I see what others are saying about contrast. Hang it on the wall!

1 Like

You certainly don’t see many juvenile wood duck images and this one is a winner. Great framing leaving room for the duck to swim into the scene and a serene moment. I believe that @brenda_tharp took care of the two bottom corners which grab the eye a little bit but I think I might cut back on texture of sharpening a little bit as it has a little bit of a crunchy look to it. Certainly easily fixable and this is an image worthy or re-editing slightly. Great catch.

1 Like

I do like the contrast and if so desired, you could reduce it slightly prior to printing. Brenda’s tweaking of the corners works well and it keeps the eyes on the duck. Well done…Jim

1 Like