Hoback in the Tetons

I found this big bull moose last Fall during the rut in the Tetons. The female was out of the frame on the right with her second year calf. Hoback, I believe this is right, was posturing and showing off all he could for her. Due to the rut conditions, I kept my distance and watched. Amazing courting ritual.

Specific Feedback Requested

Overall composition. All input appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D500 Nikon 200-500 ISO 640, F7.1 1/1250

4 Likes

Hi!
You captured the behavior well and Moose looks impressive, but settings don’t seem to work.
First, the BG was close to the subject, not resulting in enough separation and you were shooting at f 7.1

Hello,

I just joined the site so am browsing around a bit and came upon your photo. He’s a beautiful bull, isn’t he? I often photograph moose too and struggle with composition, especially when the background is busy with twigs and grass. I wonder if you opened up the scene a little to give him some room…that might show off how huge and impressive he was. If you don’t have that option, perhaps an even closer crop of just his head would work. Those antlers are impressive…I especially like that little shadow one of the tines is casting. Great shot, thanks for sharing it!