Hoosier National Forest - near Story IN,

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Image was taken along a winding dirt road within the Hoosier National Forest, between Story IN and Bloomington IN. It was an overcast day and the fall colors were decent, but not spectacular.

Specific Feedback

I struggles trying to get the ‘cloudy’ sky not to be distracting to the color of the leaves. Any feedback on composition and processing would be greatly appreciated.

Technical Details

Image taken using a handheld Canon R, 24-105 L, at 1/80 sec, f14, 24 mm, 800 ISO, or ASA, raw image was processed using Affinity V2 software.

1 Like

Ian, overcast skies let the fall colors saturate nicely and these look very realistic and nicely inviting. The challenge (at least for me) is handling the solid off white of the sky. I think you’ve done that well here by limiting how much sky is showing. It’s worth trying to burn-in the large sky area a bit more, to see how it looks. If your software let you use luminosity masking, that would work well at darkening the sky with minimal change on the surrounding leaves. I like the curve in the road and how it balances the sky.

Thank you Mark for your suggestion on luminosity masking, I know the software has to capability, I just have not tried it yet, and I will do that – thanks again,