Horace's Duskywing Skipper on coneflower

Seen in our garden a couple of years ago. I liked the brown butterfly contrasting with the pink coneflower. I’m wondering about the pink petal in upper left - I left it in as part of the original scene and contrasting color scheme but would be interested in other opinions.

Canon 1D mark 4, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, 1.4x TC
ISO 800, 1/400s, f13, hand held

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

Hi, Allen. The flower on the left makes the composition a bit busy, to me, but not to the point of distraction. It’s a fine shot of the Duskywing with good details. BTW, I just got a shot of a Horace’s Duskywing on a coneflower a couple days ago!

Allen, you captured wonderful details in this guy. I like the composition, and how his wings point to two adjacent corners of the frame. For me, the other coneflower doesn’t seem to be pulling my eye away. To me it just seems a part of the environment that you captured him in. Nice details throughout the skipper which is a real plus. Well done.

Allen: Great capture of the skipper on a fine perch. The BG petal does pull my eye, especially the relatively bright tip. I think I would either burn that down or paint in some color from the other part of the petal. >=))>

Allen, the details in this slightly worn Duskywing look very good. I’m fine with the full, colorful framing, although a bit of burning-in of the brightest pinks might look good.

Beautiful job on the skipper, Allen. As for the background flower, most of it seems to work, but the upper petal grabs my attention a lot in the larger image.