Skipper Butterfly incoming

I shot this image back in October 2018. I was trying for take off shots of a larger butterfly when this small skipper entered the frame as the other butterfly exited. Luckily for me the skipper happened to be in my camera’s plane of focus. I like the diminutive size of the skipper and the resulting negative space on approach. As you can tell, the zinnias were in the process of dieing out as this one shows.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7D2, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 640, f5.6, 1/5000s, hand held

@allensparks.wildlife
1 Like

Sometimes we just get lucky. We never know when nature will come to call. Nice that you got both the butterfly and the skipper in focus. Nice composition.

Allen, what a nice capture of this tiny little guy heading toward the flower. I like the balance of the flower and the skipper, and the nice soft background. I am still working on in flight shots of small things. Nicely done.

Great capture, Allen. Must agree with @Shirley_Freeman in trying to capture insects of any kind in flight. Actually still working on capturing any insect! Love the composition and the detail you’ve gotten in the skipper. Nicely done.

1 Like

Nice one. I like the nice space between the flower and shipper giving lots of room for the Skipper on the incoming flight path. Good for to see it and push the button.

Fun shot! The space between the skipper and the flower works here for me, but I’m hard pressed to explain why. Maybe as part of the story of this little guy trucking toward the big flower.