Zabulon Skipper, Poanes zabulon + Repost

The forewings and hindwings of a resting Zabulon Skipper sit perpendicular to each other, creating a profile that resembles a fighter jet. These butterflies prefer woody areas and a nearby water source. Their range is from North Dakota south to Texas and to the east coast.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D
Canon 70-300mm @ 160mm
f/13
1/1000 sec.
ISO 2000
Hand Held
Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

Repost to lighten skipper.

1 Like

Nice, Terry. He is giving you the eye, while posing nicely for you. A pretty nice look at both the skipper and the cone flower.

Beautiful, Terry! It’s neat how his colors match the flower! It seems like you have a lot of those skippers by you!

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman and @Vanessa_Hill. I seem to have more skippers this year than I’ve ever seen here, Vanessa. I have photos of a couple other types of skippers I haven’t posted yet, but probably will, at some point.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this one, Terry. I’ve never seen a butterfly with this wing position before and never would have suspected such a thing existed. I really like the details here and wonder if using a radial filter to lighten the butterfly just a bit would help it stand out on that colorful flower? It might be worth a try since it’s such an interesting little dude.

My pleasure, Kris. He is an interesting little dude (and I do mean little - about 1/2"). I played around with this a bit and did lighten him. I’ll repost for review. Thanks

I’ve never seen one with this configuration either – fascinating! Neither one will enlarge for me, but they look like you have enough IQ to crop in for a closer view of the butterfly.

It looks pretty good even if we still have enlarging issues today. It’s really that small??? Wow. I had no idea and thought it was at least an inch or so. Teeny bugger.

Thanks @Diane_Miller . There seem to be site issues today that prevent enlargement. It took several attempts just to load the updated image. I took many images of this guy, so I’ll see if I have one I can crop for an isolated view of the skipper.

@Kris_Smith Yeah, his miniscule size was another thing that fascinated me. All those cool features in a creature one-half inch long.