Horned Grebe

Another colorful European Grebe, this time taken before any chicks arrived. We saw several solitary Grebes in Iceland. I find this to be a really striking bird.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 2000, 400+1.4 X, F6 .3, 2500th, 50% of full frame

1 Like

Nice capture of this beautiful bird in breeding plumage. I’ve been fortunate to see them in this plumage once or twice in the northwest.

Downright gorgeous bird and very well photographed, David. I really need to get to somewhere these breed. I believe they do so on the refuge lakes in the Klamath Basin (I remember seeing them there some years ago, though not in this great a plumage).

Wonderful! This guy is definitely all dressed up for a hot date!

@Dennis_Plank, if these things are to be found up in the Klamath, I’ll be right there… (Well, maybe next year.)

@Diane_Miller I just checked a field guide. It may have been the Eared Grebe I saw. They’re fairly similar. It was on a mid-summer trip so I’m pretty sure they were breeding. We saw them on Tule Lake from the dike road.

Hi David
Shot like this must of made your trip to Iceland a real joy. Great looking Grebe and I thank you for show it to us. Nice work.
Peter