Horse Rock Ridge Summit & repost (same flower different angle) & 2 more reposts!

I went for a hike at Horse Rock Ridge. There were a lot of wildflowers. Like this trillium.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
300mm
1/250
f/6.3
ISO 100
Cropped to 8x11

An interesting effect. The petals look almost neon. And the background is consistent. I don’t love the bit in the LLC, but given your tools the only way to get rid of it would have been to recompose in the field or move whatever it was out of the shot.

It’s a trout lily though. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Do you have a way to adjust exposure? If you can see a histogram you’ll see the whites are blown out. That may have been the intent, artistically, though. I like the high key effect, but usually blown out whites are a distraction.

1 Like

Thanks for your inputs @Kris_Smith, yeah I see what you mean about the bottom part, that was me trying to clone! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I did have another angle in the field but for some reason I didn’t use it. Oh! And I’ve never heard of a trout lily before! Thanks also @Diane_Miller, yeah I was trying to get not really a high key look but I wanted it to look soft and dreamy, but I can tell that’s just not coming across! Lol! I did go back in to bring the whites down a bit and it makes the flower look I guess sharper is the word? But I can maybe tell this image just isn’t what I was trying for! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Vanessa: My immediate reaction was to the apparently blown whites as Diane mentioned. A relatively simple Content Aware adjustment can make the stuff in the LLC go away. I do like the comp and isolation of the subject you have. >=))>

1 Like

Vanessa, My first reaction is that the overall image is overexposed and agree with others about blow whites. I like the composition and crop, and the idea behind the image. You may still be able to salvage the image and get close to your initial vision by decreasing the exposure and highlights.

1 Like

Thank you, so much, @Bill_Fach @Diane_Miller @ravi @Kris_Smith for looking and your feedback! So good to know what I did wrong and how I can make it better… I’m reposting a different image. I actually think it’s overall better, because of how I positioned myself. And I didn’t even have to crop, the lily is already on the one side. I did a little adjustment of the whites, also noticed that the original wasn’t as “blown out”, probably because of my position on the ground?..let me know your thoughts, oh, another thing I like about this one is the purple flowers in the BG. Do you think it works?..

The other image was nice Vanessa but I like this one a lot more. This was has a meadow atmosphere for sure. The whites are a little bright for my tastes but not as distracting as the first image. Bg flowers all look good to me. Just that one little glob on LLC that is a bit distracting.
The first image may also look good as an 11 x 8 crop rather than 8 x 11.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Leroy for looking and your feedback and suggestions! I’m going to give this one more shot with lowering the whites and adjusting overall exposure and getting rid of the llc and crops…this is for everyone @Diane_Miller @Bill_Fach @ravi @Kris_Smith @David_Leroy I would love to know if these are improved!..

Thank you!!!

Composition is always a matter of taste and individual preference. For me, I would go in between these two in comp. The wider one places the flower too close to the edge with nothing to balance it. And I feel the narrower one needs a little more room on the left, maybe enough to include the grass exiting the frame. I prefer the lower contrast on the wider frame, as the flower is blown out even in it and the softer BG contrast is more pleasing to me.

1 Like

They both look better to me. I can also see the intruding stems you were smudging out in the very first post. Sometimes if there are unwanted grass stems or small branches poking into the frame I try to physically try to get them out of the way. You may have already done that.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Leroy, yeah I started doing that (moving grasses and whatever out of the way) for some scenes in the field after someone had talked about doing that! I never thought about that before, I think it’s a neat idea. In this instance I couldn’t as I was trying to stay on the trail as much as possible (which is why this is at 300mm) as the grasses on the summit seemed kind of fragile. But thanks for that suggestion. I was almost thinking they look better kept there than me trying to remove them in pp.

Vanessa, You have done well in toning down the highlights. I would echo on Diane’s comments on composition. I like the re-work you have done.

1 Like