Horsetail Fall

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

About my 5th try for the rare but magical conditions for a winter sunset within about a one-week range to be at the right angle to illuminate this fall, which only flows after a significant snowfall followed by some warm days.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 8.29.57 PM

Shot in 2016. This one has been on the wall for a long time, as a large canvas print.

1 Like

Truly a wall-hanger! Well done. I don’t live very far from Yosemite Valley and have the urge to go and try my luck shooting Horsetail Falls but the worldwide photographer’s interest in shooting it keeps me from even trying. Not a big fan of crowds. I’ll continue to just admire other folk’s fine captures of it.

Diane, what a breathtaking image you shared! The waterfall glow is pure magic. It’s easy to see why this is hanging on your wall.

Thanks, @Dave_Douglass and @Egídio! Dave, there is now a lottery for spaces to try to shoot this, and the conditions are ephemeral – I wouldn’t try for it again. There are just too many people who own cameras these days!!! (And most of them don’t have a clue.)

Diane, if the text shows up green it is because the jealousy is showing through! I have Yosemite on my bucket list. Maybe one day. This is really beautiful. Wall-hanger for sure. Well done.

Diane, a truly classic take on this iconic scene. A really wonderful wall hanger for those like yourself who have made the pilgrimage to this annual event in YNP… detail in the larger version is outstanding… :sunglasses:

Thanks, @Shirley_Freeman and @Paul_Breitkreuz! Shirley, YNP has gotten so crowded it is hardly worth it anymore. The scenery everywhere out here is at a low point in summer – spring is decent but the best time is in a winter snow. But that is scarce and can never be counted on, and rooms will be fully booked in any case.

1 Like

This is timeless and beautiful. It’s definitely an image you would never replace on a wall. I don’t think I’ll probably make it there for the reasons you mentioned, but it is something I would love to see. Being in the park when there’s snow sounds amazing!

1 Like