Hostages to fortune

So last winter I “discovered” Goldenrod galls and so when I found some more (actually many dozens of them) I tried for another shot. Definitely easier to do in winter with deep snow, but I think I did ok with this image. The light was direct, but clouds filtered it a bit so there is some softness, and also sharply defined texture which I think adds interest and immediacy to what could be a less than exciting photo.

Goldenrod galls form around a fly’s eggs - its a protective response the plant makes after it is cut open by the female fly; kind of like a scar. The larvae inside may live to see spring, or be eaten by woodpeckers who can hammer open these little pods. Alternatively, a parasitic wasp may have also laid her eggs here and they will soon consume the food provided by the fly and the fly larvae, too. Nature is unsentimental about such things.

Specific Feedback Requested

Finding and isolating just one of these in a sea of more goldenrod and other plants was a challenge, but I think this works ok. Thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for all processing - boosted shadows and whites, trimmed highlights and blacks. Added a bit of texture, clarity and vibrance. Boosted red and blue saturation in the Calibration panel to get some punch in the soft color presentation. Selected the background to bump the exposure and shadows more and reduce clarity and texture - basically to keep the image soft and open. Square crop to finish.

2 Likes

Absolutely love the detail you have gotten in the goldenrod, Kris. And thanks for the history/background, fascinating how nature manages its environment! Also love how you’ve included the OOF rods in the background. About the crop, just a thought, what about cropping just a bit off the left side (maybe a 5:4?)? But I do tend to like elements a bit off center.

Great photo and interesting commentary. This is similar to how Oak galls form. I like dried plants as it simplifies their structure. Beautifully blurred background here. The curving lines of the leaves frames the gall nicely.

Kris, I was just thinking yesterday about how I need to get out in my garden and see what I can do with some of the old dried seed heads, etc. It is cold here today (probably where you live you would consider it a heat wave) so will probably wait for a warmer day. I ordered a LED light that fits on the hotshoe for Christmas. Looking forward to using it for fill light, etc. I’m hoping it will be better than flash in some cases. I saw where you were using one in one of your setups, so that got me thinking.

This is such a neat photo, and the story behind it too. Nature is amazing! I personally like this image as presented.

Thanks @linda_mellor, @Chris_Baird & @Shirley_Freeman - nature fascinates me so finding stuff like this just lights up my brain. Glad you like the OOF flowers behind; there was no way to avoid it unless I picked the plant with the gall and put it elsewhere. I normally don’t do that so I had to walk around a bit before finding a way to shoot it. I also played with different crops and may do it again, but for now I like the 1:1.

1 Like

Wow! Fascinating subject, gorgeous detail and light, with a stunning BG!

Thanks @Diane_Miller - oh that background vexed me something terrible. Good thing the field of flowers was pretty big.