Gossamer

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Work, ministry, family and health have all conspired to keep me away from the community for the past several months. I have had a few opportunities to do some shooting and this afternoon while cruising the garden I came across these milkweed seeds. I got in about a dozen shots when a rogue thunderstorm rolled in with drops as big as pancakes. This was the first image taken through some intervening foliage. It’s been awhile since I’ve done any intentional cramming but I liked how this turned out. The rain ended up ruining most of the seed pods but there are still a number of new ones that should open in the next few days. Hope I get another shot. All comments welcome. >=))>

Specific Feedback

There were some distracting elements in the corners so I added the vignette to mask them and contribute to the ethereal mood.

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 400, 1/30 @ f5.6

4 Likes

Hi Bill,
Welcome back! I hope you are doing well.

That is a really great macro shot. I love the soft mood and the beautiful pastel colors. The depth of field is great, all the hairy details are in the right place.

There are two small details that distract my eye slightly. But that’s really nitpicking:

1. Blurring one hair at the right side of the image. It was slightly too sharp in my opinion.
  2. Dodging the dark little thing in the upper left third.

Here is your original file, so you can switch back and forth:

Other than that, I wouldn’t change anything about the image. Wonderful work. My advice, print it out and hang it on your wall.

2 Likes

Bill, what a neat shot. I like how you presented it. So glad that you were able to get out and shoot a little. Just good to be able to do that after not being able to for awhile.

I have to admit I need to probably get new glasses for these old eyes, but I have flipped back and forth on what @Jens_Ober posted and the original and I am not able to see the difference. Probably others can, unless by chance Jens accidently posted the same shot twice. Anyway, I like the shot as presented. Keep shooting when you can and hopefully life will let you get back on NPN more. Your comments and images are missed!

2 Likes

Sorry, Shirley. I think, can’t explain certain things properly with my average English. :rofl:
The adjustments were really subtle. I addressed these two areas:

As already mentioned, it is very nitpicky. But these spots stood out to me in the otherwise soft image.
Perhaps it was a bit overkill to even suggest these minor adjustments.

Oh, okay @Jens_Ober , I see what you are saying. I was blaming my old eyes! I think you do very well with the language. I was in Germany for 3 years, and I can tell you I never spoke German this well like you do English.

1 Like

Welcome back, Bill. I hope things are going more smoothly now.

Milkweed seeds are so cool! I love the way your focus drops off so that only the uppermost part is sharp. I’m not bothered by Jens’ wild hair on the right, but I agree that the little smudgy thing on the left is distracting. I’m also not sure about the really light vignette here. It is competing with the white seeds, I think. How about toning it to more closely match the green of the background? I gave it a crack to see what I thought about the idea, and also brought up the exposure on the seeds. See what you think:

Here’s my edits (masked for the vignette and clipped a color fill layer to it; color picked from background; copied and inverted the 1st mask and raised the exposure a tad):
Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 9.41.38 AM

5 Likes

WOW, Bill. Welcome back ~ I can certainly relate to work, family and health issues getting in the way. I love photographing milkweed and especially when the pods explode. Of the many shots I have taken, none are as wonderfully detailed and captured and yours.

1 Like

Glad you’re still sneaking in moments for shots like this when you can. Milkweed pods are really fun and it’s cool you have them in the garden. We have some in the ditch in the front of the house, but we don’t mow it and I wish the county wouldn’t either, but they do and I hate it.

Anyway, I like your idea to go with a light vignette here, but think Bonnie’s use of a color layer elevated it a bit. The mood you struck suits the feathery quality of the seeds and their downy fluff. I hope things settle down for you so you can kick back more.

1 Like

Hi Bill, I really love the softness of this image, I also enjoy photographing milkweed, and had some fun last fall using my new 100-400 lens to capture some close ups . I like the green background and the detail you got on those soft fibers. Nicely done!

Hi Bill, I hope that all the above settles down to a manageable level for you soon! :slight_smile:

Your milkweed image is very nice! I really like the overall composition and the gradient focus and brightness, it helps to strengthen the sense of depth.

I like the minor edits by @Jens_Ober, they’re subtle but effective. :slight_smile:
I also like the vignette edit by @Bonnie_Lampley, it does help to shift the viewer’s attention to the main subject a bit more. :slight_smile: (at least for me).
However, the original is outstanding as presented! :slight_smile: Very artistic!!

Wishing you all the best, Bill!

Bill, this is a neat look at a fresh milkweed seed pod. I like how the sharpness and contrast fall off on the diagonal. I also like Bonnie’a adjustment to the “vignette”. That’s in parenthesis because I suspect the the whiteish corners are part of the cram. Overall, you’ve created a lovely, gently mysterious looka this highly recognizable plant.

I really like the subject and composition. Sort of wondering where this might go in black and white.