House Finch

We had a short time of soft light this morning and I managed to coax this guy into a pose, on a new perch near the feeders. I’m getting bored with my static portraits but for now it’s what is working.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 900. Slight crop for comp to maybe 60% of the original file. Minimal highlights/shadows in LR. NR in PS (not noticeable at this size). Experimented here with a bit more sharpening in raw, just to see how it would hold up to the denoise and JPEG save steps. Looks like it didn’t do much damage?

2 Likes

This is a lovely portrait, Diane. The plumage is in perfect condition and you caught a very pleasing pose.

I knew this was yours! Bored or not you’re killing it with these wee winged wonders. Breeding colors it seems. Exquisite sharpness and lickable light.

Diane, if this is what you pull together when you’re bored, I say stay bored! :slight_smile:

This is a terrific portrait of a lovely finch.

Excellent look at the finch. The red plumage and green background work great together.

I’m not tired of seeing these dreamy soft back ground and crisp focus profiles, these are the shots I look for when birding and shooting in the “wilds”. A common species and sometimes overlooked, but a beautiful rounded robust bill and wonderful reds.

As usual, you’ve done an excellent job on this type of image. The detail, color, pose, head turn, and background of your recently posted static images are superb. This one is no exception. I think it’s really difficult to get the right exposure balance and saturation levels on these male house finches. Good job!

Hi Diane,

These birds are under appreciated because they can be abundant, especially out East. Color scheme and crispness enhance this composition. I like this one as presented…Jim

Thanks everyone! There are a lot of them here, and they provide a happy chirping backdrop from the nearby trees.