Hummer Double Exposure #1

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was part of a series for a double exposure assignment. Through my kitchen window, I photographed the flower with intentional camera movement. Then without moving from my spot, I waited for about 45 minutes for the hummingbird to come into the frame from the left side of the flower. I combined the two images in Photoshop.

Specific Feedback

I was trying to capture that frenetic energy of the hummingbird, while still having a crisp image of the bird and flower. Hopefully, that comes through in the final image.

Technical Details

The bird and flower captured at 1/6400 sec at f/1.8, ISO 400, 50 mm. Background shot 1/10 sec f/22. ISO100, 50mm. Initial processing of separate images in LR, then combined as noted above in PS.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Skip, I like the sharp hummer and flower against the flowing green background. I’m not sure about the blurred red flower, but that’s personal. There is a green halo along the flower’s right that feels a bit out of place. I suspect there’s a way using a soft edged mask in PS to fix that, but I have very little composite experience.

Ah, this is such a fun and unexpected image. I’m impressed you waited so long for the humming bird. Your patients paid off. I knew this had to be two photos, though that doesn’t matter to me as much. Since you got the feeling right about the energy of the humming bird. Nice use of multiple images and ICM.

Skip: Really cool concept and fine execution IMO. Not your typical hummer flight shot and all the better for it. :+1: :+1:>=))>