Hummer Fluff

I’ve been having a good time shooting hummingbirds from our deck lately and was fortunate to be zeroed in on this male anna’s in a tree near the feeder. He was getting buzzed by another hummer and, I guess was attempting to look intimidating. This is the most extreme posing by a hummingbird that I’ve ever seen. Glad I got him.

Specific Feedback Requested

Cropping?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, 1/2500th, f 8.0, hand held, 700mm, ISO 2500, DeNoise AI, cropped to 2016 x 1704

1 Like

What a wonderfully crabby little guy! They are so fierce in their territory defense. Tiny, but determined. I think the cropping looks decent, but the pinks look a bit too hot to me. I know they’re very deep and iridescent, but hm. That fanned out tail is so marvelous! Those tiny feet. Could be worth a trip through Sharpen as well. I’ve experimented some with just using Sharpen and the noise reduction there and in my raw editor with good results. I apply a little of each in raw and then port it over to Sharpen. It’s been working well to punch down the noise and bring up details in one pass.

Hi Dave
I love Hummingbirds, they look so sweet and the next minute there trying to nock the adjacent Hummingbird out of the sky. Love the expression on this Hummingbird.
Peter

Great pose, especially that fan tail!
Crop looks fine too me but you may bring down the pinks a touch.
It looks like that focus is some where on the body.

He looks pretty intimidating to me Dave. I would stand back!
Great capture of this aggressive stance.
I don’t know what the background is, it helps the bird stand out, but for me it doesn’t add to the overall composition.

Amazing pose and good DOF. They apparently have no idea how small and cute they are. This guy looks ready to take on a turkey!

Dave, what a great behavior catch for you! Patience [usually] pays off and he really stands out against the background. Love the detail in the feathers.

Hi Dave, what a great pose! Congrats on catching it. Love the colors in the throat as well. I agree with Jagdeep that the focus is not fully on the head. Still a fine image.