Hummingbird Silhouette - Well Almost

Description:

I decided to set up my lighting for a completely different look a couple of days ago. My intent was to get a nearly complete silhouette, but not completely black. I wanted some small amount of light on the butterfly bush flower, and just enough on the hummer to see some details, but largely silhouetted. This was the best result I got.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

Olympus EM1-X
40-150 f/2.8 Pro lens
1/200, f/16, ISO 200

1 flash for the background and one distant flash for the rest of the image.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@keithcbauer

An interesting idea. The subtle color does come through in the larger image and I think you achieved your goal.

Hi Keith
This is a hard one. I like the framing and concept of the silhouette. I am just not sure weather the Hummingbird should darker or lighter.
Nice work.
Peter

A very interesting idea, Keith, and well executed. I think, with this wing position, that a bit more light through them would have been even better, but I also think that with the wings over the back, this would have been just about perfect.