Hunting

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Lots of rain have transformed the meadow into a wetland. A blue heron steps through the shallow water, searching for something to eat.
A very common species, but I always like the grace of these birds. And the patience, if they stand without any move, waiting for a careless fish or frog.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Pentax K3 Mk. III, Pentax 150-450 @450mm, ISO800, 1/2000s, f/6.3, -1 EV.
RAW conversion in DxO PL6, minor curve adjustments. There was a dark spot at the upper edge, about 1/3 from the right, that I brightened a bit.

A very nice pose, Han, with a good background. I like the silver sheen on the water and might be tempted to crop in a bit from the left to eliminate the dark strip of water on that side.

Nice catch of this stalking pose Han. Bird is slightly angled away from us but this still communicates the bird hunting quite well. I like seeing the environment of sparse grass the bird is working in. I could see cropping in on left as Dennis suggests and then maybe a tad on the right too. Nice that you caught the raised foot.

Nice detailed look at the heron in a hunting pose. I like the environmental aspect as well.

Great environmental and action shot of the Heron, Han. Well done. I see the crop suggestion and it might help some too. I also think you could reduce the highlights in the water sot they’re not so bright…that might set the bird off better.

I love the pose and leg position.

Cheers,
David

Thanks @Allen_Sparks , @Allen_Brooks , @Dennis_Plank and @David_Bostock for your comments and suggestions. I see your point and will try the crop and also the highlight correction.
Much appreciated.