Grey heron

This heron suddenly stepped in front of me, between the reeds. I had to react fast, because I liked the light, but it was impossible to get an unobstructed view. It needed a bit of work afterwards. I added the final crop and the original image.

Suggestions about the editing are welcome, maybe I can squeeze something better out of the origingal file.
All other remarks are always welcome as well.

Pentax K5, Sigma APO DG 4/100-300mm @300mm, 1/00s f5.6 ISO200

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I think you did an excellent job on the processing, Han. The only thing I might do in addition is to use a fine detail enhancer, like Topaz Detail, on the heron to see if it’s possible to bring out a little more feather texture. The lighting is delightful.

The great lighting, particularly on the bill, makes this shot for me. Nice job.

You have done an excellent job pulling a beautiful view from a problematic image. But I agree that the light on the heron made the effort well worth doing.

@Dennis_Plank, @Allen_Brooks, @Charles_Bell: Thank you for your response!
It is indeed the light that made the effort worth doing.

I also like the light and the habitat as presented. Excellent job with processing getting rid of the oof reeds.