Hydrangea with Shallow Dof

Usually I try for maximum Dof on macro shots but in this instance I liked the opposite effect of a shallow Dof. What do you think?

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 50 mm lens at minimum focus distance, f/1.8, 1/640 and ISO 280 on tripod.

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hydrangeas are a target-rich environment! I think your shallow DOF worked well here. There is very nice detail in the main flowers and it tapers off pleasingly.

I find the semi-distinct leaves in the UL draw my attention a bit – maybe darken or blur more?

Richard: Selective focus is a powerful artistic tool IMO and I think you carried it off very well here. I’ll echo Diane regarding the ULC but this is a fine image as is. Top notch shot. >=))>

The selective focus does work well in this image. Much more effective when seen large. Good detail in the focused areas. Agree about the upper left corner.

I like your choice of focus point and the tapering off the focus toward the edges. Works for me.

I haven’t been on the site for a while and want to express my thanks for having my image chosen for an Editor’s Pick. Thanks again, Richard