Ice #5

I’ve enjoyed continuing to work with many of the images I made in mid-December on a pond where the water froze and then receded leaving many fascinating patterns. I’ve converted some to B&W, I think with better success than having them in color, and looked for patterns that draw my eye and keep my mind happily working.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all

Technical Details

Sony 6000, 1/160, f/10, 100mm, ISO2500 with adjustments to tone curves, dehaze, grayscale, cropping and sharpening in LR

3 Likes

John, the B&W on this is fantastic. It highlights the shapes, structures, and textures over the colors. Awesome!

Hi John, this looks very nice in black and white. Lots of interesting shapes especially the round bits juxtaposed with the dark line. Compositionally, I would prefer something a bit more dynamic. Perhaps with the dark line running vertically but at a slight diagonal. That’s all a matter of preference of course.

1 Like

Nice shot and great shapes and banding to look at. I agree w @Alfredo_Mora that a vertical presentation would work nicely

I very much appreciate the thoughts about changing the orientation; it is something I seldom do but here are two, one a straight 90 degree change and the other, as @Alfredo_Mora suggested, slightly diagonal. I like both, all three really, but they each become very different. Again, thank you.

2 Likes

John, I definitely prefer the vertical repost with the dark line running at an angle. There’s just something about it. I think it’s that there are several different lines running at angles. Completely different look than the original. Nice one!!!

John, your image is lovely in black and white, yet I agree with the others about orienting it to make it more dynamic. Lines are so strong in a composition, and horizontal line was lacking a bit of energy that the angled line gives in your rotated image. Great idea to convert to black and white!

I like both of these for different reasons. The straight vertical evokes tension, strength, fracture and the slight diagonal more flow. But so many other details in this to enjoy - the circles and banding. Nice!