Ice Lines

Here’s a change of pace for me. The runoff control pond next door was high after a major rain event when we had a hard overnight freeze. The combination of freezing surface and draining water left a myriad of lines and shapes in a thin layer of ice that was separated from the now lower water surface. There was basically no color, so I chose to emphasize the shapes and lines in b&w.

(7D2, 100-400 @ 182, 1/30 s, f/18, iso 400, tripod)

1 Like

Excellent ice abstract, Mark. I love the shapes and the B&W presentation works quite well. Getting picky, I would burn the bright spots ULC and the white streak right of center along the top edge, but like said, quite minor. Looks great.

1 Like

Mark, I love this image, and B&W really works for this. The lines and shapes are amazing.

An outstanding addition your collection of ice abstract images Mark, it’s nice to see you experimenting with something slightly different. The composition is excellent, I like how you kept the Z shape off-center like this. This ice has some amazing texture and depth, good stuff…

This one caught my eye immediately when I logged in. I love the larger longitudinal ice pattern together with the billowing finer lines. The black & white rendering is excellent. Hoping for freezing temperatures soon!!! (Just a minor comment: Maybe a little bit less sharp at the uppermost part, maybe focus stacking would have fixed that.)

Great abstract photo full of energy and movement, Mark. The black/white, at least for me, emphasize the movement, texture and shapes. Such a fun image to look at, again and again. Nicely seen and taken.

Very cool, both literally and figuratively. The contrast of the sharp, angular sections filled with curvy lines is wonderful.