Ice and bubbles on gold fish pond

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We have a gold fish pond in our backyard and the weather and lack of snow cooperate the patterns of the ice and bubbles are intriguing, to me. We run a small recirculating pump when the pond begins to freeze, and if their temperature drops below freezing and there is a lack of snow the images are fascinating .

Specific Feedback

Overall I would appreciate any feedback on overall composition and balance of the image.

Technical Details

Image was taken with a hand held Canon 6D, 24-105 L, 1/50 sec, ASA 200, at 105 mm,

Ian, when I look at your photo, my initial reaction was the sight of ocean waves splashing on a rock. The cool color palette, on the other hand, brings me chills. For that reason alone, your photo has a strong impact on my eyes.

In your specific feedback request, you mention the balance and composition of the image. I am on the fence regarding the URC. That dark corner creates a distraction from the homogeneous blue hues. It is not a bad thing. On one hand, it can be seen as providing the viewer an escape from the ice. On the other hand, it distracts us from the rich details in the darker portion of the image.

I do love the smooth transition from dark to light tones from left to right. It’s a beautiful photo.

Bubbles, ice, water, a fascinating mix. I get @Egídio’s point about the URC corner. I think it’s OK, as that BG is also visible through the water on the left. The paler blob in the URC I’d darken as it distracts me a bit, but I wouldn’t want to spoil the comp by cropping. I just love that curved central line.

1 Like

I like the upper right corner, Ian. It looks like a shoreline. I do question the exact points of intersection where the shoreline hits the edge of the frame, but I know finding the perfect spot in that kind of convolution can be utterly impossible. I also like the nice division between the two kinds of ice/bubble formations. The dividing line makes a nice leading line.

Hi Ian, can’t help but remark on your use of ASA under tech details…brings back a lot of fond memories. Congratulations on presenting an unusual image for this week’s WC; certainly not something most of us think about this time of year, in the Northern hemisphere. Love looking for unique ice patterns in the Winter. You’ve captured a nice variety of frozen droplets here and it’s fun to explore them. Although I like the jagged edge in the URC, not so fond of all the negative space there.

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions, I understand the comments on the URC and as was setting up to image I could not get a view that would seem to fill the space in with something other than not much of anything, and still keep the jagged edge. I still default to ASA rather than ISO, when I read ISO my default is international standard organization, not photography. It must give away my age. I started taking 35 mm images in the early 1970’s and after 10 or so years did not do much other than family gatherings. About 12 years ago I started again with a Canon 20D, which I still have, and it works.