Ice and Grass Abstract

I have no idea whether this is the right category or not, but I couldn’t really find a good one. It’s not significantly digitally altered, so I think they’d probably kick it out of photo art. A few weeks ago, my wife emptied the ice out of a bird bath after it thawed a bit with the help of some warm water. I was out photographing and decided to take some ice pictures. I liked the distorted grass through the irregular ice.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

None.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does this work for anyone? What might you do with it?

Any pertinent technical details:

5DIII, 180mm f/3.5 macro hand held at f/14, 1/320 sec, iso 1000, manual exposure, Autofocus engaged. I did use Topaz Detail to bring out structure in the ice and cloned out a couple of bright white spots from flaws in the ice that were eye magnets.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This turned out really well. It is fine intimate abstract image with great color and detail.

Dennis, I’d say that depending on the size (<~12 inches long axis) this is the right place. If it’s larger, then it can be posted in landscape as a small scene. The clarity and sharpness pop very well. The greens show very well through the ice textures with the bubbles looking good and well distributed. I would be tempted to rotate this 90 degrees cw, but that may be driven by monitor shapes.

Thanks, Mark. It’s well under 12 inches. Probably about 4. I liked the vertical presentation because of the direction of the grasses underneath the ice. I agree that it would show up better horizontally. One of the things I really don’t like about the modern computer screen dimensions is the long skinny format.

I’m fine with this just as it is.

Dennis: This is very cool for me. I love the “what is it?” factor and the detail in the large version. Top notch.>=))>

Very compelling abstract. I am enjoying the contrast between the grass forms and the ice bubbles. The differential layers of focus make this work well.

Excellent mini-abstract with great detail and comp.
Well done!
Sandy