Ice-covered rock

Image:

Description: This roadside piece of bedrock was encapsulated with ice from the spring that usually flows over it, intensifying the colors beneath.

Specific Feedback Requested: any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Sony6000, 1/320, f/6.3, 180mm, ISO1250 with minor adjustments to tone curves, cropping and sharpening in LR

1 Like

John, the only reflection that I think I see here is the bottom 1/4, so it doesn’t fit the description, “a photo that is entirely a reflection”. Should I move it to Macro or Abstract?

Do what you like but I felt the ice itself was quite reflective. Your call and no worries either way.

I like this image. I took some similar last week when I was at the Oregon Coast. There are many interesting textures in the photo - the ice, the rocks, the algae, and the white threads of ice on the right half. The shapes of the yellow bits of algae are echoed in the shapes within the ice.

John,

Beautiful and fascinating ice study - love the gold color in the rock too!

No reeal nits or suggestions, although initially I thought most of the interest was in the upper 2/3, but then I finally took notice of the wonderful “finger” icycles dripping down. The formed ice is very cool! If anything, a crop from the top - only because the tall vertical format is too much for me, but that’s my personal problem… lol.

Love the vibrance, brilliance of the ice and colors. Beautifully seen.

Lon