Iconic Taughannock Falls

Rework - 1 Added more contrast and darkened the rt wall to push the eye toward the waterfall as suggested by @David_Thompson

Original

First of all David, I want to say thank you for spending your time helping to improve our photos. Your work is an inspiration that gives me the motivation to keep practicing my photography in hopes that some day my images will be half as good as photographers like you. Thank you.

This fall is located just outside of Ithaca, NY. I walk the 3/4 mile trail to this fall frequently in the winter and late fall. Many times I have this spectacular view to myself. The fall only has 3 spots to be photographed and they are all frontal views. There must be billions of shots that have been taken of this fall which makes it impossible to get an unique image. What I think many shots are missing is focusing on the stunning carved stone wall behind the fall. In summertime the fall is back lit from the sun and the wall appears black. There’s actually a lot of color in that wall if you visit it at the right time.

Specific Feedback Requested

I wanted to have the waterfall in the photo, but my main objective was to accent the beauty and colors of the background. I darkened parts I didn’t want the eye to catch and lightened the back wall. Does the back wall catch your eye first? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a7r iv 24-70mm @ 37mm
f/18
ss 1/10
ISO 640
ACR for tones & some luminosity mapping
Photoshop for D&B & color

1 Like

Donna

Thank you for the kind words! Much appreciated, and anytime my work can inspire others is a huge compliment so thank you!

Donna, this image here looks great! Lots of interest. I like the dichotomy of the rough and smooth textures against the waterfall. The subtle color palette is working well here. Yes…the back wall is catching my eye. The only suggestion I have is to add a some contrast to the scene. A basic levels adjustment layer in PS will work! And if you really want to emphasize that back wall more, darken the right side of the frame…particularly the rock wall on the right. This will force the eye to move towards the waterfall.

Hope this helps! Nice work on this!

DT

Thank you, for taking the time to critique my waterfall image. I have done what you suggested and this was a improvement. It always amazes me how much small tweaks make such a different.

Your rework rocks, Donna. :slightly_smiling_face:

Donna, your rework is great. The added contrast is wonderful!

YES!!! the edits look great Donna!!! A lot of the time it’s the little things that make the most impact. :wink:

1 Like