If Color Does Not Work plus Re-Post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I could not quite get the colors right on this daisy-like flower, so I transformed it into a black and white portrait.
Thankyou @Kris_Smith and @Dennis_Plank. I pulled up the white point with an adjustment with Levels, and tweaked down the opacity for the new look…Jim

Technical Details

Z9 105mm micro F2.8 (1/40 sec, f8.0, ISO 64) 35 image stack PMax, Levels, Brightness & Contrast, Microcontrast enhancement, BW conversion…Jim

1 Like

Neat. I don’t know that I’ve seen this flower in B&W before. I am surprised you say you couldn’t get the color right. From what I’ve seen of your work with this set up it’s always looked appropriate and balanced. Lovely details and I like the 3/4 view. Very portrait-y. I do wonder if you could increase the white point here - it seems a trifle muddy and very gray.

1 Like

Superb detail as always, Jim. I like the angle you took this at, it gives it a whole different feel from the head on flower images we often see. I do agree with @Kris_Smith that bringing the flower up would help.The original may have been all mid-tones, but once you convert it to B&W there’s no real reason to leave it that way unless you want to show it in relation to other objects.

1 Like