Pink Dahlia — B&W repost

I went back to “square one” with the B&W version of this, basically redoing the B&W filter work and deleting several layers that just weren’t working. I think it’s better, but agree with @Bonnie_Lampley, @Dennis_Plank, and @Kris_Smith on the pink version being if not the best, the most striking! Thanks so much for your feedback! Oh, and if you have a moment, would love to know how the new B&W works. It just doesn’t quite make it from my point of view., but I don’t have “fresh eyes.”

Pink Dahlia in B&W

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

As some of you know, my preference is for black and white photography, with an occasional color image that appeals to me. Here is an instance where I liked the pink and tried to convert it to black and white. I’m not sure that it works very well. Or maybe I’ve been looking at it for too long?!

Specific Feedback

Do either of them work? Your preference? Suggestions for improving the black and white?

Technical Details

EOS 5DsR; 105 macro; ISO 2000, f/20, 1/30 second. I use Photoshop and its black & white filter to convert to B&W.

2 Likes

Hi Susanna. In this case, I definitely prefer the color version. It just seems to have a lot more life and in the B&W the center of the flower just doesn’t have enough tonal variation to make it really work for my taste and since it’s darker, it becomes a visual sink that I can’t get out of.

The color version is just plain awesome!

As is, the color version has my vote because it has a feeling of more depth due to the larger differences in tonality/color between the midtones/shadows and the highlights. You could bring more depth to the b&w version by bringing down the midtones just a bit. It’s quite a lovely photo. Beyond the greater tonality of the color version, I just love that color combo of the gentle pinks and greens.

Another vote for color. With pastels so light you’d really have to force any wide dynamic range here and it would just look strange. Greatly prefer the subtlety of the color version and the contrast between the shades of pink and green; they coordinate and contrast so beautifully. My eye was immediately drawn to the small bits of sand or dirt on some of the petals when I opened the large version, so maybe a little time with a healing brush would be an idea. The layers are so wonderful and I love the edge of sharpness and clarity that gives way to smooth silky petals. Lovely.

1 Like

The new B&W is much improved for my taste, Susanna. My eye no longer locks on the center, butI think I still prefer the color for this one- it’s such a lovely image in color that it’s very difficult for the b&w to compete.

1 Like

Amazing how different the two B/W versions look. Although I love detail, I prefer the softer tones of the bottom one. I agree the color version is the most special, though – I love it!

Thanks, Diane! Unbelievably (to me), I also prefer the color version!

Welcome to the Dark Side!! :upside_down_face: But don’t quit letting us enjoy your B/W art! This is undoubtedly a temporary phase…

I love the first black and white photo. of the three its my choice as favorite. I can see the lines better and the tone suits my taste. BUT !!! All three photos are really beautiful and they all work well. !!!

Thanks so much, @Gill_Vanderlip !