Mother and Child — Repost B&W

@Shirley_Freeman and @Diane_Miller, I converted this to B&W. I think that I have more work to do on the area surrounding the flower, but that aside, what do you think? Thanks!

Okay! I added canvas to the image. Comments? (Thanks!) It feels like too much on the left, to me.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This perky dahlia and the little bud beside it were just waiting to be photographed! They were nestled among the leaves with little distraction surrounding or obstructing them. The shallow DOF helped minimize the background.

Specific Feedback

I’ll appreciate any and all feedback! Specifically, do the composition and DOF work? Thanks!

Technical Details

Canon EOS 6D; 50mm; f2.5 compact macro lens; ISO 400, f/3.5, 1/500 sec.

1 Like

Wonderful!! I love the bud! This might be another great B/W. The BG detail drops out perfectly. I love elbow room, though, and could wish for more canvas on both sides. Looks easy to manufacture if nature didn’t grant it.

Depth of field works for me, Susanna. I’ll echo @Diane_Miller on a bit more room on the sides. Being tight like this is a good way to create tension,but I don’t think you want tension in this image.

Dennis, thanks! Yes, I agree with both of you. I’ll expand and repost. :blush:

| Dennis Plank Avian and H&F Moderator
October 5 |

• | - |

Depth of field works for me, Susanna. I’ll echo @Diane_Miller on a bit more room on the sides. Being tight like this is a good way to create tension,but I don’t think you want tension in this image.

Oh, this is a beauty. I love the title too. The colors are so rich, but agree that it could even make a great B&W, but I am enjoying the colors. Nice repost.

Nailed it on the repost, Susanna!

1 Like

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman and @Dennis_Plank! I appreciate your input.

1 Like

Yes, the RP is much more relaxed! Gorgeous flower. Do we get to see this one in B/W? Might be wonderful…

And now I see you have done that – I think it is fantastic!! There is so much lovely tonal detail in the flower! I love the subtle hints in the BG – I’m not sure how it could be better, but I also love that the paint never dries.

The B&W is very nice as well, Susanna.

Thanks, @Diane_Miller! I like that last bit “…I also love that the paint never dries”! What a great way to view post-processing. I do like the B&W. Not sure why I didn’t do it sooner since I’m mainly a B&W photographer. Thanks for the push!

And, @Dennis_Plank , thanks!

Oh, B&W is nice too! Just the right colors to convert to B&W and make that flower and bud pop for sure.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman! I also think the B&W works well. Not sure why I didn’t do it sooner!

1 Like