Mother and Child

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Callas have become one of my favorite subjects over the years. Their elegance lends itself to modern, sometimes even abstract, interpretations. This calla pair in a pot of about a dozen callas stood out to me; that I saw it on Mother’s Day likely gave it greater meaning. It’s rare I have a story with one of my flora photos, but this one was obvious to me.

Specific Feedback

I’d like general feedback on the processing of this image. I took it with a Lensbaby Velvet 56, probably around f/4 or f/5.6, so it’s on the softer side. How do you feel about the light on the callas? Any thoughts on the b/w processing? I just bought these flowers, and they’ll be a viable subject for a few more days. This is a very straight-forward representation, so I’m open to ideas of how else I might compose them, too.

Technical Details

Canon EOS R, Lensbaby Velvet56, 1/100", ISO 1600, probably f/4-5./6. General LR edits, including conversion to b/w (callas are yellow) and using the new Denoise tool. Handheld, natural light.

Really Beautiful !!! Black and White and the simplicity works so well.

1 Like

WOW!! The daughter seems to be hugging the mother, a little bit shyly – how sweet! The lens has given a wonderful extra softness to the OOF areas, and the tonalities are seriously wonderful!!

I only have one suggestion. Post more for our viewing pleasure! Oh – another one – print and frame!!

1 Like

I love the lighting and the black and white treatment, Beth. I do feel like maybe a hair more canvas on the left would balance the composition more, but it does create a bit of tension this way. Lovely image as posted.

1 Like

Oh now you’re talkin’ Beth! This is so beautiful it’s hard to think it’s real and not something you imagined and drew. I have no experience with Lens Baby optics, but this result really suits the flower. It looks like one of the properties is similar to a mist filter that a lot of videographers use to soften highlights that can be harsh with video.

The corresponding and merging shapes of the two flowers works well to have us wonder what we’re really seeing. Just that hint of striation in them gives us some reality. Agree that maybe more canvas on the left and less on the right could work. Have you tried a horizontal flip? Sometimes I find that being able to “read” a photo from left to right helps engage people and with more room for the flower to lean into is good which is why the additional canvas was mentioned.

You could try putting these on a rotating table like a Lazy Susan and play with different angles and positions. These are so perfect for experimentation. Maybe looking down at them a little next time. Keep playing no matter what and post often!

1 Like

@Gill_Vanderlip Thanks very much, Gill! I do love the clean simplicity of black and white, esp. when the flowers are yellow. I will probably go back and do some tinkering of them with color, but for now, I’m with you on the b/w!

@Diane_Miller Thank you!! Yes, you see what I saw :slight_smile: but you added the shyness to the story, which I really like. I spent more time with them yesterday and have some variations (posted on my IG)… will share them here somehow, because I am curious to get feedback about the strongest composition and lighting.

@Dennis_Plank I almost asked about space around the flower, Dennis, but decided not to bias :-). I’m glad you mentioned that. I have a tendency to compose close to the edge, and as you say, it can either have the effect of compromising balance or adding tension. With the simplicity of the “scene,” I wonder if tension adds or subtracts. I suppose it depends on my intent, yes?

@Kris_Smith Kris, Lensbabys are made for flora photography! Well, if you like the glow or selective focus look. Sometimes the results can end up looking like Glamour Shots for flowers, LOL, but when used with intention, the lenses can really expand one’s artistic vision. I have four Lensbabys and the Velvet56 is by far my most used of the bunch. Anyway!

I appreciate your observation about the canvas space. As shared above, that’s one of my issues. I also get what you’re saying about the left-to-right bias. I didn’t try flipping this one, which I will do. I sometimes find that the right-to-left read adds subtle tension in an otherwise simple scene, and again it brings to mind the question: is it productive or distracting tension? I took time yesterday to experiment with some different compositions, which I’ll share in another post. The pair is still attached to the rest of the plant in the pot, so once I decide to cut them out, I’ll likely try even more variations.

Thanks, y’all, for your feedback! It’s very helpful in providing affirmation and alternative ideas :blush: :pray:

Gorgeous! I’m very curious to see later stages in the growth (and even decay) of this couple. Would they form a serial storyboard, I wonder? But right now it stands out in sculptural splendor!

Hi Beth,

This is just LOVELY!! :slight_smile:

The soft white along with soft focus standing out from a black BG is just awesome in my view!
The high low orientation of the two lilies is perfect!

Nothing I can think of to improve this.