Yellow Cala Lilly + Repost

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 5d Mark iv, f/8, ISO 800, 1/100 sec, Lensbaby Sweet 35

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Nice sharp presentation of the calla. The heart shaped center is a definite plus. My only suggestions would be to shoot a vertical so that the entire flower is in the frame and possibly eliminate the speckled whites in the leaf.

Hi,

Yes, vertical comp should work for this image. Also, the shadows are saturated with cyan, so reduction of cyans and blues may also help. The light spots on the leaves are part of the plant, so removing them is up to you for artistic purposes. The flower is nice and sharp and I especially like the soft shadows. Well done…Jim

Lana: One of my favorite flowers and a nice capture. I also agree with shooting this as a portrait to include the entire flower. Nicely done. >=))>

Lovely flower well captured. Agree with Patricia on vertical composition. You could also remove some of the out of focus spots on the left upper part of the frame. Love the heart shaped petal.

Good to see you here Lana! Lovely flower, I love the flowing lines and dark background. Personally I would consider a completely different crop. I would either go with a portrait orientation as others have suggested or even going landscape and much tighter to really focus the subject. I would also cleanup the disrtracting bright spots in the background.

@Patricia_Brundage, @Bill_Fach, @Jim_Zablotny, @David_Kingham, @ravi – thank you for all your insights! Going vertical and cropping in a different way makes a big difference. Wow! ;->

1 Like

Lana: Really nice work on the repost. I’m going to edit your title so that others will know to revisit. >=))>

Hi Bill, please edit the title as needed. This was very valuable learning lesson for me. Best!