Impact

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of my favorite things to photograph close to home is the patterns found in the ice on the shore of Lake Superior. I loved the way the point of this rock seemed to be shattering the ice.

Specific Feedback

Do you have any thoughts on the composition or editing? Anything is welcome.

Technical Details

Canon EOS R5
1/60 Sec. @ f 11
ISO 200 176mm

Focus stack: One image for the ice, the other for the rock.

1 Like

Quite an impact - dynamic and makes me feel the cold; not only of the ice, but the rock, too. Ice is so fun, but not so much this year, at least over this way. I really like the various angles and straight lines you put together here and how constrained the crop is; cutting them off and creating tension. Was it possible to get more of the lighter bits to show up in the ice on the right? Sometimes a little change in angle can help and then you’d have an even tonal range across all of the ice. Not a huge deal, but I imagine it would be interesting and possibly more arresting.

Impact is perfect for this image Todd! I love that it tells a story and is more than what is initially seen. I believe your composition is just about right. I agree with Kristen regarding the darker tones on the right but perhaps if the ice were uniform in tonality, it would lessen the impact of the image. The only area that stands out to me is the arc at the bottom of the frame.

What a great find, Todd. It really does look like it is the rock that has cracked the ice. Nice lines leading in toward the corner of the rock. Well done!

Todd, I have come back to this shot every time I come to this forum. I am very sorry for the imagery here, but I can’t help but think of a bellybutton with tight jeans on this one. . . I love it!