In the Spotlight II

This is the maroon version of our Louisiana Iris. We had a lot more than I expected and it looks like they are multiplying. Hope these are annual visitors. Kris, this particular variety does stay open for at least two days and often three. I think this was day two for this bloom. All comments welcome. >=))>

Specific Feedback Requested

This was about the maximum DOF I could get without the BG getting too defined. One of these days this old dinosaur will try a stack but because of the wind I don’t think that would have been possible in this particular setting.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7RIII
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 400/ 1/60 @ f11

4 Likes

Wonderful image, Bill. I don’t do much macro or closeup but I surely understand your DOF points. The amount of DOF seems to work perfectly here. At least for my tastes… :cowboy_hat_face:

Great colour contrast, Bill, and I love the whole diagonal slope of your composition. A stack would maybe have made this less dreamily evocative. Super shot!

Oh what a beauty! My dad collects day lilies in what must be a similar way to you and irises. The variety of colors is pretty amazing. So rich and soft at the same time. Yeah, you really could try stacking to get all the petals sharp, but the fall off here is natural and something we’re used to looking at. As Mike noted, the diagonal is a great organizing element to a complex flower.

Simply drop-dead gorgeous!! And simplicity is key here – perfect DOF for both flower and BG! Wonderful composition, colors, BG and soft light.

Bill, I agree with @Diane_Miller that this is drop-dead gorgeous. I love the colors. Beautiful!