In Your Face

I took this shot in my flower garden a few weeks ago (before my back went out and I haven’t been able to shoot for about 3 weeks). I liked how the flower on a slant, and the bee was coming at me. I do appreciate all comments and critiques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 180 mm macro lens, f9, 1/640, ISO (640) auto, everything else manual. Edited and cropped in LR, used Topaz AI Clear.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Shirley, sorry to hear about your back, that’s a big ouch! The overall sense of “yellowness” works very well here and the details in the bee’s face are terrific. I agree that the slanted flower adds a sense of motion that’s nice.

1 Like

Beautiful Shirley. I also like the slanted flower, adds a bit of excitement and looks like some sort of carnival ride. The detail in the bees eye is terrific, I’d be running instead of shooting if he was coming straight at me. Very nicely done. :+1:

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

I hope that your back feels better soon. This is an interesting photograph of a syrphid fly getting some nectar. The aristate antennae are a dead give away for your subject being a fly. The implied triangle of yellow works well in this comp. Well done…Jim

2 Likes

Shirley: Great up close and personal view and I like your DOF management especially. Hoping your back recovers soon. >=))>

1 Like

Shirley, it is an excellent head-on image of the fly. The antenna is a giveaway, as Jim said it. Lovely colors and just adequate dof. also very sharp. The diagonal arrangement of the flower frames the head of the fly very well. oof background is a plus.
Hope your back feels better. Macro work finds one in all odd positions. wish you a quick recovery.

1 Like

Hope your are doing better these days Shirley. This is a wonderful composition how one is focused directly on the head of the bee here. The angle of how it was taken was well done.

1 Like

Hi Shirley, I also like the diagonal of the flower. Nice critical focus on the bee’s head. Well done.
I hope your back recovers soon as well.

Thank you all, for your comments on this image, as well as your well wishes on my back. It is well again, but I am being extra careful still. I haven’t tried to do much shooting images, especially macro right now. I can get myself into some really crazy positions, mind on the shot, and out my back can go.

Dean, I was getting concerned about you, as I hadn’t seen any post from you lately, so I was glad to see you posting again. Looking forward to seeing your images too.

Lovely photo Shirley. I like the nice head on look, the colors are great and the diagonal adds a nice touch. The oof fg is handled very well. Also a very good instruction on one of the differences between flies and bees.

1 Like

Shirley: Nothing to add here but I’m doing a test on how the images are ordered. David is working on it but I’m trying to give him correct information. Are you having any issues with the post order?

Shirley: Thanks for being my guinea pig. Send me a bill :wink:

You don’t want a bill, Bill! No, to me it seems to be ordered by the comments post, not by when the photo was submitted.