Inflight Red-shouldered

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I spotted this hawk on a wire near the country road I was on so I pulled over, locked and loaded, and waited for it to hopefully take off. After several minutes it finally did. Worth the wait, I decided.

Specific Feedback

Anything? Cropping?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, 1/2500th, f 8.0, 750mm, ISO 450, handheld, Photo AI, cropped to 3760 x 2751

3 Likes

I have nothing to say about this image except to offer my admiration for a great capture.

Dave, for me it’s always difficult to get a good Red-Shouldered shot even perched. A good flight shot with a full complement of colors and patterns has stymied me for quite a while. This one would have been a keeper for me even with the URC. I like the sharpness and crispness of the wing pattern and the name-sake red shoulder.

Nice catch Dave - love seeing these hawks. Nice wing position and I like that the bird is angled toward us. I could see adding a tad of saturation to the hawk for a little more pop but that is a minor tweak. well done.

Very nice wing position and angle on this hawk, Dave. I know it’s pixel peeping, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of fine feather detail except on the tail. Does the Z9 have bird eye AF?

Yes, it does.

Lovely photo! I love the colours here and the mix of patterns in the wings against the pops of light in the background. I like how you have cropped…always a challenge when there is sky in part of the background which I think you have dealt with well. I agree this was well worth the wait!!!