Inflight Rough-legged

I was fortunate yesterday morning to have a nearby wintering Rough-legged Hawk allow me to get some captures of it. One of them was a “flying right at me” pose.

Specific Feedback Requested

Cropping okay?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1/3200th, 700mm, ISO 720, hand held, AI Clear, cropped to 3333 x 1843

The pose of the bird is powerful. Twigs aren’t ideal, but that’s the way it goes.
You asked about cropping. If find this WAY too tight in the frame with no room at the bottom.

You inspired me to treat this redo this shot with re-cropping, branch cleaning, sharpening, an orientation adjustment, and a new “eye glint”. Thanks for the nudge. I like it better now.

Nicely captured, Dave. The bird is nice and sharp and processing looks to be good.

I like it, but the talons appear to be disappearing into the sky. Fabulous pose and positioning. Very dramatic and in your face. Deserving of the redo if you have the time. I think I may have put up a quick post about a way I’ve found to remove an object using CAF and “dropping it back” into the shot. I did it with a bird and it worked a treat around the feet.

What an impressive pose and action ! I go for the repost, no need to be so close, the bird’s impressive anyhow ! Cheers, Hans