Inner Glow

Description:

Taken at Garden in the Woods in Massachusetts. I loved the way the light created an inner glow. And I used selective focus and a very soft background to focus attention on the light and the lines in this image.

Specific Feedback Requested:

any critique or comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? no

Canon 180mm Macro Lens

Rework with more canvas added to right, more tilt, and darker background on the left.

The site is not letting me upload the rework now, I will circle back later and try again

3 Likes

The simplicity is sublime and you’ve kept the greens from escaping. Not sure the dead center composition is ideal. Have you tried bringing the background down a little in exposure? It might be harsher than the look you’re going for though - quite subjective. The crisp edge of the leaf is a treat for the eyes.

I miss Garden in the Woods!

The green colors are great, and as you say so is the glowing green. There is a very bright edge part at the top left that eventually could be darkened a tad (not very important). I do not know if you have enough image to work with, but have you tested to place the flower even more diagonally?

This is drop-dead gorgeous! The DOF is perfect and there is something special about the tonal and color transition from the leaf to the BG on the right that is very special, but I don’t know how to describe it.

I’m wondering about an alternative version with just a little less on the left and just a little more on the right.

This is just beautiful, Ed. The light coming through is really nice. I like that razor sharp leaf edge too. I assume the lead edge was where you focused?
Congrats!

Excellent example of how color variation, light and simple shapes can produce a dramatic image. Well done.

Beautiful, Ed. Simple and elegant. No nits here.

Perfectly suggestive and understated flower image. It’s wonderful to see flowers in a different light and from a different perspective.

1 Like

Beautiful. Tony, hits the mark, especially from “different light & perspective”.

Wiegman’s First Law of Flower Photography is - Think like a pollinator. Well, maybe I’m off in the land of hyperbole, but it is essential to get close and don’t be enchanted by just colorful petals.

Namaste

Namaste

@_Kris @Ola_Jovall @Diane_Miller @Harley_Goldman @Tony_Kuyper @Mark_Muller @Patricia_Brundage @paul_g_wiegman

thank you all for your comments and suggestions, I enjoy hearing your thoughts.

I have posted a rework back up top, trying to incorporate some of the comments received. I added some canvas to the right, and added a bit more clockwise tilt. I also darkened the background on teh left side (though the right was dark enough already .

I wasn’t sure how this would fly in Flora, but that was my objective, to move beyond the petals and see what I could do with “just green”.

Bravo!

That’s not to take away from the fantastic images posted on this site, but it is a road sign pointing to the infinite portfolio that is waiting for us to find by looking from a different perspective. Keep going!

Namaste

I’m having an upload issue, too. Talking to David about it.

2 Likes

I’m having issues also. Thanks for talking to David.

@Ed_McGuirk and @paul_g_wiegman – the upload bug seems to be squashed now.

Thanks Diane, it’s a temporary fix but I’m glad it’s working again!

Ed this is amazing. That Canon Macro lens was my favorite for a long time. Such character. I like the way the flower leans to the right just enough to be off center. Nice work.

David