Irate Bluebird

This is another perch attached to a nest box pole. As it happens, both the swallows and a pair of Western Bluebirds were showing an interest in this box when an English Sparrow flew right in. The Bluebirds were not happy about it at all. The female flew to a nearby box,but the male perched up above it and dared that sparrow to come out. Unfortunately, I also failed to catch the sparrow, but there will come another day.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you might note. The wing blur bothers me a little bit, particularly in the rear wing. How do you feel about it? Any suggestions? I could probably clone down to the dark area, but I’m not sure about it.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything you might suggest.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, hand held, f/8, 1/800, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 13 MP. Taken yesterday at 8:14 am.
(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Love the perch. IQ and colors are excellent. The wing blur bothers me a little bit, but it also helps convey a level of annoyance. I’d clone out the whitewash on the perch, and as a small point, I think the image would be a little better if the tip of the perch were in focus, although I’m not sure that’s possible given that you were already at f/8. Crop-wise, I think I’d prefer a hair less on top and a hair more on the bottom.

Very nice, but don’t you mean BBOAS?

Hi Dennis, nice pose from the bird - I like the open beak. I also like the bird’s position on the perch. Agree with Lyle on taking out the white on the perch. Not too keen on the wing blur.

I think that if you were to completely clone out that back wing no one would be the wiser and it wouldn’t hurt the composition. That and de-poop the cool looking perch. Just me.