Iris Selective Focus

Description:

Here is a study in selective focus. I was intrigued by the sweeping lines and curves of this iris when viewed up close. I used a Canon 180 mm macro lens, set the aperture to f3.5 and went about “exploring” the details of this iris from only a few inches away. Jockeying the tripod by less than an inch rendered completely different views. Even though I shot from a tripod, almost nothing in this image is sharp, but to me that’s a good thing .

Specific Feedback Requested:

any critique or comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

Canon 180 mm f2.8 macro lens , ISO 100, 1/20 sec at f3.5,

3 Likes

Real nice dreamy abstract floral image. Great sweeping lines and colors.

Dreamy indeed! It’s evocative of ICM. The colors are visual flow are wonderful!

Painting with an iris. :clap:

2 Likes

The forms are strong enough to support this level of OOF-ness. The light is delicious and the colors soft and natural. I can see why you chose this one out of the many you probably took - the composition is pleasing and hits the Goldilocks spot of cropping. I wish for a tiny…and I mean tiny…bit more contrast, but that’s totally subjective. Beautiful work.

@Harley_Goldman @Diane_Miller @paul_g_wiegman @Kris_Smith

thank you for your comments, I’m glad that you enjoyed the image. This one was a bit of a stretch in terms of being OOF. I have some others where parts of this are in more focus. But this one being soft everywhere felt more painterly, which is what I was going for.

I couldn’t have said it better myself Paul, thanks.

1 Like

I am somewhat late to this one, but since I like it a lot I just want to say that. The OOF works great, it strengthen the soft sweeping curves of the iris.

1 Like

Almost nothing in this image is sharp AND to me that is a good thing. An inspirational macro!

1 Like

@Ola_Jovall @Mike_Friel

thank you for stopping by to leave a comment. I’m glad you enjoyed this one. It was a bit of an experiment for me, it’s nice to know that it seems to have worked out.