Is it Safe to Come Out Now?

It was a hot day in the Badlands, and the mud was dried up into beautiful cracks, and out pops this frog. I did get one shot of him totally out of the crack which I may post.

Specific Feedback Requested

I cropped this quite a bit because I couldn’t get too close. I’d like to know your opinion on the crop or if I should crop in more? I tried to position him in the top right but still get the cracks leading up to him. Any other feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fuji XT2, crop sensor, 55-200 lens @200mm, ISO 250, 1/240 @ f/9.0.

@robertakayne

Oh wow! What a catch. Amazing how life has adapted to the most extreme conditions.

Maybe try cropping the green out of the shot - I just held my hand over it and it seemed to work.

Hysterically wonderful!! And zooming in, he has a fittingly wild-eyed look! I might crop a little more from the top as the dark curved crack pulls my eye out the top. Great sharpness and detail!

So fun to get an unusual shot! I like the greenery in the shot. He could be moved up in the frame a tad more, either by taking some off the top as Diane suggests or depending on what’s below maybe just moving the frame. I think his size in the frame is good.

This is a really col image, Roberta. The cracked mud cakes contrast so much with where one expects to see a frog and the anthropomorphic frown on the frog’s face makes it appear that it’s not too happy to find itself there. That dark opening in the crack at the top does draw my eye, but I think you can just crop down to where it gets the light.

@Dennis_Plank @Kris_Smith @Diane_Miller @Terri_Barnett Thank you all for your very kind comments and constructive suggestions. I did crop in more and am re-posting.

A cool frame and I really liked the expressions of frog!
I agree with @Diane_Miller Diane Miller’s suggestion about cropping.

@JRajput thank you for your kind comments! I did crop the image and posted the rework here.