Are you avoiding me? (+ re-work)

A new edit with some suggestions from below, instead of cloning the whole hemlock needle, I got rid of some of it and washed the rest with green -

For me photography is mostly a solitary occupation. It’s inevitable that a desirable subject will present itself either -

a. when other people are present to take their own cell phone shots
or
b. other people are making too much noise and the subject flees

This was the former and yeah, it’s just a spring peeper, but it was an especially tiny one - just 1/2 an inch long. But a lady on my group foray wanted to get her pics and doing so put this little cutie just off line for me. I gave it a go anyway and I think we both got what we wanted.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the odd angle really wreck this?

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for most of the raw work - the usual S-curve and some texture and clarity. A crop. Topaz Denoise. Nothing too tricky.

1 Like

I don’t mind the angle here, as such, but I wonder if the OOF rear leg could be toned down? The rest of the froggie is sharp and engaging. I wonder about removing the tan FG shape just left of center. The OOF part of the FG is pleasing but I’d maybe clone over the dark bottom border.

The person who wrecks a shot always has a cell phone camera and in spite of hogging in, the subject will be 3 pixels across. I have about the ultimate experience of a group ruining a shot. Point Reyes, Abbott’s Lagoon parking lot. I had chatted with a group of A-list birders who were getting ready to leave, as I was. I drove out just ahead of them and just before the road I saw a gorgeous male California Quail on a gorgeously quaint fence post with a gorgeous soft BG – on my right. I pulled over and stopped and got out without disturbing him. The first 2-3 cars of the birding group stopped several car length behind me and off to my left. (I was off the edge of the road.) I sneaked to the back of the car on the driver’s side and had the camera (with the perfect lens) aimed at him with my heart in my throat. I was clearly in the view of the paused birders. Just as I acquired focus they decided to blast right by me and the quail and his covey blasted off too. IDIOTS!!! I guess to them a good bird is a tiny black dot in a spotting scope.

1 Like

That is a legit justifiable homicide moment right there! OMG I’d have been boiling and I know you were too.

Mostly I like the walks and tours I do with the naturalist groups, but the difference between the average cell phone snapper and a dedicated nature photographer is pretty vast. When I’ve gone out with others who are serious about nature photography, and you’re one of them, Diane, we respect boundaries, we understand approaches and stealth and we give each other space and time to do our work. Cell phone snappers just crowd together and jam their phones in the faces of whatever hapless creature presents itself. Mostly it’s benign, but oy…they can be so irritating.

Does than make me a snob? I guess it does, but I am polite and patient unless people are clearly disturbing some poor animal.

So back to my frog. Thanks for the critique. I hadn’t brought it into Photoshop for more serious editing because I wasn’t sure it was worth the effort. I have a few other shots of spring peepers that are better, but they can be tricky and really shy so when this one didn’t hop away from the cell phone lady, I thought I’d give it a go. I’ll see what I can do in Ps to make this work better.

1 Like

Oh, Kris, what a snob you are! :slightly_smiling_face: Pretty much just like me! I have a pretty low tolerance for snappers that get in my way. I had to become especially vocal and even rude when I was doing the wedding photography gigs…thankfully that’s no more.

Anyway, on to your image. I like the pose as is. The cute little guy seems to be looking into the frame, into the distance. Makes me wonder what is out there.
I see @Diane_Miller’s comment about the rear leg. I think darkening it some would help a lot. So, to answer your question, this is not a wreck, not even close. I love it.

OMG if wedding photographers have to put up with this crap, they need to charge extra for it. How utterly rude. The cult of the self knows no bounds.

So thanks for the feedback. When I’m done with chores today I’ll bring this little one into Photoshop for some extra work and repost.

Repost done. I darkened the leg and dealt with the hemlock needle as much as I could. Better?

What a cute little guy, Kris. I think the repost is certainly an improvement, but I was okay with your first post too. Improvement is always good though. I’m glad you got this shot. He really sounds like tiny.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman - I think it’s a newly formed frog - was an egg and a polywog not long before this shot. They only get about an inch long as adults, so always pretty small.

1 Like