Islands in the Mist

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the ethereal, otherworldly feel of this image.
Unsure of the coloring: too much blue?

Creative direction

I wanted to capture that fine art softened look of the ocean.

Specific Feedback

Feedback: Any and all are appreciated. I flip flopped about the Cypress tree in the lower right, but I felt it added more balance to the image rather than pulling the eye that direction.

Technical Details

Photographed at Point Lobos near Monterey, CA.
Fuji X-T4, 78.3mm (117mm full frame), 20 sec, f18, ISO 160

Description

2nd time to Point Lobos State Park. This time I brought my tripod. Wonderful place to visit; mid week, non-peak season is better. The day after the storm had passed through. Water was still somewhat active & choppy. Light was mostly even with the sun occasionally peaking through. Excellent place for photography.

5 Likes

I definitely got the ethereal feel and I think the blue works well for that. Feels cold and distant, somewhat dreamy. For me, the tree in the foreground detracts from that feel by making the frame busier and because it is darker and sharper than the rest of the image.

I agree with @Cathy_Proenza re: blue and foreground tree, but would go even further and crop the sky making it for me, even more ethereal. Great shot.

Hi James,
I definitely like the ethereal mood and the blue tones only enhance that feeling. For my tastes I would clone the tree out as it disrupts that peaceful vibe IMO. This definitely looks like a wonderful place for some photography. Beautiful image and mood.

I like what you did to this and like the others I too would remove the tree in the bottom right. I think it is distracting and not helping your overall photo. Out of curiosity have you tried cropping it to a 16:9 ratio? Taking away from the top and bottom might give it a bit more pop. Awesome photo!

1 Like

Thanks Cathy,

Based on the feedback from you, Jim, Ed and Tina I think I will try a few different edits with 1) cropping 2) lightening the tree and Orton effect 3) Photoshop remove tool 4) Photoshop generative fill (should be interesting)

Couldn’t position myself to not get the tree in the frame in this instance.

1 Like

Thanks All,

Re-posted photo with tree removed (PS Gen Fill and Object Removal worked the same) 16:9 crop, and a slight warming.

2 Likes

James,

Love this! Gorgeous, if not mystical and ethereal. Yeah, some folks don’t like the ghostly exposures, but for me, it just depends… most times I like the effect, but sometimes it just doesn’t fit the scene. This, I love! The blue really intensifies that ethereal quality; and certainly color/hue/sat is in the eye of the beholder and subjective. For what you’ve presented, I really think the processing here is quite wonderful.

I agree that this is much stronger without the cypress. Sure, it provides some context, although I’m not sure it helped with any balancing. The image is beautifully balanced without the cypress, IMO.

A wall hanger for sure! No other nitpicks or suggestions.

Lon

1 Like

Lovely!! The color is perfect for me. And removing the cypress was a good move – from very good to super good!! I love the sharp horizon and the cormorants or pelicans (?) hanging out on the rock.

I shot waves up north a couple of days ago but didn’t go to long enough exposures or wide angles. Back tomorrow for a redo.

1 Like

Thanks Lon. I like it better with the edits also.

Thanks Diane. There were both pelicans and cormorants.

James, your repost without the Cypress and sky makes for a very strong image. Well done. I think this would make a strong B&W image too. Congrats!

1 Like

You repost is fabulous. I agree with others that removing the cypress and sky take you image to the next level.

1 Like

Thanks Eva.

Wonderful moody shot James and I agree with the changes made for version 2. Cropping out the horizon line creates the illusion that the shot covers more territory than it does in reality. The tree had to go – the color in particular distracted my eye.

1 Like

Thanks James. The 16:9 crop was one thing I hadn’t thought about. I think it helped the feel of the image.

Hi James,
It’s a nice subject and I think that the white balance chosen looks good given the muted colour of the sky; and the time of day.
My suggestions are as follows:

• Removing the tree was a good move as it didn’t add to the image; the colour difference was a distraction; and as both the tree and the high rocky outcrop (near the horizon) are in sharp focus - and the rocky outcrops between not quite so sharp - in my opinion it made the image look a little edited in some way.
  • I noticed that the horizon is not level with the image border - a simple tweak.
  • Lastly, I suggest trying a 65: 24 crop, too. There’s no issue losing either the sky or the immediate foreground, and what the 65:24 might reveal is that you actually have two images in the one shot: the beautiful high outcrop with the bird; and the rocks in the foreground which spread diagonally.

Nice shot and what a super place …in the write condition!

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Nigel

1 Like

James, I love the redo! It stands out more with the edits and crop in my opinion. Great job…

1 Like

Thanks James.

Thanks Nigel. I will try those ideas!

The 65:24 produces a very interesting tightened up image. Much like a pano. I will have to play with that awhile…