It's a long way to the outhouse + RP

With a little more sky. The OP had been cropped from the top as the hilltop pulled the eye to the UL corner. This is just a little more sky revealed.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from the archives, shot in Bannack, MT, a LONG time ago – 2006, with my first digital camera, the Canon 20D. It’s nice to find some of these older images are salvageable.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 2.53.34 PM

Not much done – minor global shadows and highlights, then into PS for NR, needed in the sky. I did that on the color version and then did a B/W adj layer. I tried Nik Silver Efex but liked the result better with the B/W adj layer. Slight crop from the top as the hillside on the left was feeling too dominant with not enough interest.

More than salvageable! You could get some quality alone time in there! LOL. I like the progression from there to the building in the distance and the surrounding vegetation is so soft and inviting, but I bet it was prickly IRL. You lifted the tones just enough, it isn’t forbidding or anything negative. Just decaying interestingly.

I agree with @Kris_Smith more than salvageable! Has a little bit of an infra red look about it. Very nice Diane, an inspiration to me for going back and looking at early work! :clap: :pray:

The image is definitely salvageable. Not sure that the “bathroom” is. :grin: It probably isn’t even there anymore, so it is good that you took this and kept it in your archives. Nice. Perfect kind of image for B&W.

Thanks, @Kris_Smith, @Saundie and @Shirley_Freeman! Finding scenes like this is such a joy! I regret I didn’t check out the outhouse – there might have been an 1894 Sears Roebuck catalog in there!

I’m having second thoughts about the crop at the top and have posted a second version at the top, with a little more sky. Had to redo it from the raw file and there are some minor differences, not necessarily on purpose. Both denoise and the B/W layer brought out some less than perfect details in the old file, due to both the camera body and the lens. (Things have come a long way…)

The more sky version appeal to me. The progression of structures towards the back, poking out of the vegetation is wonderful. The quality looks perfectly fine to me!

Real great find and shot Diane …Works great in Black and White !!! I like the first image leaving more of the hill exposed !!! Great lines and tone …Very cool !!!

Thanks, @Bonnie_Lampley and @Gill_Vanderlip – like the added sky too. I think I still need to do a slight contrast increase in the clouds above the house and minimize eye pull in the UL corner.

Some contrasts in the clouds is a cool idea. Try it and see what you think. I always try some vignetting just to see if it works. Post your results. And yes keep that hill on the left.