January Morning

Repost -

January Morning - monochrome

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I enjoyed the lines and textures of this scene. The color version turned out to be a lot more subtle than my typical photograph. I like the similarity of the palette to some of the 19th century European paintings I used to see in the Frye Museum (but without their compositional excellence).
There might be an opportunity to make the pasture more interesting, with some thoughtful dodging and burning.
I tried to move to one side or the other, to see if it could be less 2-dimensional, but the elements hid each other. Maybe try again this winter.
The monochrome version is my personal favorite, as it is all about texture. The edges of the willows on the left brightened nicely. The pasture seems to be more interesting.

Creative direction

I would like the viewer to enjoy this cool, foggy morning, with an ordinary scene becoming a bit less ordinary because of the camera.

Specific Feedback

I want to keep the quietness of the photograph, but would like to make it a bit more attention-grabbing.

Technical Details

Canon R5, RF 28-70mm@56mm, f/6.3

Description

Foggy weather was expected last January, so I went hunting images in Washington’s Green River Valley. Fog sure goes away quickly when you don’t want it to. I had this grove of cottonwood in mind, and fond that access was no problem, so had some fun.

Wonderful scene! I like both but find the subdued color adds interest. I think it could be interesting to see the color version with the white point moved up a little, similar to the B/W version.

You don’t directly ask any questions but I’m assuming you want us to compare the two. I like the colored version more for greater emotional impact and because it gives a sense of how a winter morning feels.

Dick, I like the scene a lot. It does have that 19th century painting quality about it. I can see why you photographed it. My personal preference would be to brighten the scene a bit as it feels a little muddy for my taste.

@Diane_Miller and @Erik_Stensland - Thanks for the nudge to brighten. It does make the scene look less sad, and more likely that a viewer would linger to see the details. More of the positive emotional impact that @Igor_Doncov mentions.

1 Like

I really like January 2 - the brightened version - because it does bring out the subtle yet lovely hues of autumn much better. The black and white is all about texture but the tonalities are a bit too similar and therefore don’t seperate well. I ‘feel’ autumn in this version #2!

Of the three I too love more the re-posted more luminous photo in color. In the B&W version I like the many details but probably they need a bit of more contrast in my personal opinion.

Me too Dick; the repost looks great. I do wish those human structures weren’t in there and would probably remove them if the image were mine. (Opinions vary on that sort of thing though. :slight_smile:)