Japanese Magnolia #1

With a darker BG – I like that the flower stands out better now:

I decided B/W might work better here:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Well, #1 for this year. With a little luck with clouds (lots) and wind (little) I may get a few more. This is a focus stack with a little more breeze than I had hoped for, but I liked the imperfection of the flower. Some remnants of last night’s rain lingered.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 12.09.05 PM

Shadows and Highlights sliders in LR, 30 focus stacked frames into Zerene. Quite a bit of edge touchup due to more breeze movement than I wanted.

4 Likes

Perfection to my eye. I love the way the stem is not in focus and fades gently away. Even though it goes out of the frame my eye follows the wonderful color in the background. The imperfection of the blosom is the charm of the compostion. The fact you kept it in sharp focus makes the imperfections work. Of course the rain drops finish it off.

Very nice
The larger image has much more impact
The softness and imperfection create strong emotions and make me feel at peace.

Thanks, @Barbara_Djordjevic and @Steve_Rosendahl! I decided it was feeling too heavy and tried B/W – posted above. I think that was the way to go from the start.

Woah, the b&w is great. It feels so airy and light. Great stack as always.

I’m a sucker for BW that is beautiful! :clap:

Diane: I have a natural affinity for color images but in this case I do think the B&W wins out. Making the blemished petal edges go away is a big plus for me. Superbly crafted image. >=))>

I agree with Don !!! Black and White shows soul and tone. Especially in the center of the flower with the little stems !!! Really Nice. !!!

Thanks, @Kris_Smith, @Saundie, @Bill_Fach and @Gill_Vanderlip! Still wondering about this – is the contrast in the BG competing with the flower? I may post another revision, but not tonight.

I see what you mean. The B&W makes it look pristine. I like it.

is the contrast in the BG competing with the flower

I think that it may be. The flower is so delicate and there is a heaviness in the BG.

Gorgeous, Diane. Love being able to compare the color vs BW version. I would agree with the others about the BW version. For me, the BW is simpler and calmer (not sure that makes sense), easy to look at. Also like your idea about working with the contrast on the BG to help give the flower more attention. The color version is lovely for sure. Perhaps playing with a macro version that would focus on the dark purple section making more of an abstraction. Playing the light background against the dark purple. Just a thought.

Thanks, @Barbara_Djordjevic and @linda_mellor! Still thinking about this one – revision coming. Thanks for helping me lean the way I’m heading…

1 Like