Japanese Magnolia III

These are blooming now and I’ve found a couple of trees with blooms at eye level. The blooms are fragile and I like the hint of wabi sabi as they start to fade. I’m sure I’ll be finding better examples of it in the coming weeks.

Focus stacking is needed to get soft BGs, and that means very calm air, and a cloudy day for soft light. Challenging but fun to try for, and safer than navigating crowds at scenic locations.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 at 135mm, ISO 1600, f/14, 1/200 sec. Not the ideal balance but it was too breezy for an f/2.8 stack with a macro lens. I just barely got away with this one of maybe 5 frames, in between “gusts”. Very little done in raw conversion, and a touch of Detail Extractor on the flower after the stack was done.

1 Like

Diane: Just wonderful. I especially like the inclusion of the buds. Ours has a few buds so we’re a couple weeks away providing the buds survive the severe cold coming our way. Looking forward to what else you have in store. >=))>

Amazing, Diane. The detail is incredible. Stacking in gusts of winds, very nicely done.

The shape of the flower may not be perfect. But it looks very natural and I also like it. I’m a Japanese and I find beauty in imperfection (wabi sabi).

Diane, This is a lovely flower and well composed. I like the way the flower is off center and the buds and the branches add to the composition. Nice details.

Diane, a lovely flower image. Everything is very well handled, the flower, the buds, the branch etc. Just a minor issue for me, due to some reason, I am little disturbed by the lower left background (or foreground). At the same time it adds to the image having this slight change in tonality. Maybe everything is perfect anyhow!

Thanks everyone! @Ola_Jovall, that area bugged me, too. I should have worked on it before posting. When I get a minute I’ll play with it.