Magnolia obovata

A magnificent specimen of this Asian Magnolia species is at Sonoma Botanical Garden. I’ve missed finding it in bloom in previous years and finally managed this year. And it is in open shade in the morning just after they open. The very large tree is growing down an embankment from the path so some blooms are at eye level and I got lucky with this one.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
I’m never sure how to answer the composite question for a focus stack, but that it is. There was some slight breeze that moved the long branch but the elements in the frame didn’t move relative to one another so Zerene Stacker could handle the alignment.

Canon R5, 100-500 + 1.4X at 660 mm. (I had the TC on as I was also hoping to find dragonflies, but had room to back up.) f/10, 1/100 sec, ISO 800. Stack of 18 with the PMax processing. Little else done. Very slight crop to remove frame edge alignment artifacts.

3 Likes

Diane, this is beautiful. I never have been a fan of Magnolia (I think the leaves they leave behind are way to messy), but you sure captured this bloom so very well. The way the leaves frame it is nice too. I am just enjoying this shot.

I could be wrong, but I think the stacking would be considered composite, as you are compiling shots. Maybe someone else in the know would be able to better address this question. I haven’t tried my hand at stacking yet, doing good to get out in the yard and capture a few shots once in awhile.

1 Like

Hi Diane, I love this image. The colors you were able to capture are beautiful, especially that soft pale yellow color on the flower petals. My only critique is that the bright green spot in the upper left hand corner might be a bit bright and there are some artifacts around the upper left leaf that is creating a bit of a halo.

For your focus stack, did you use a focusing rail?

Thanks everyone! @BrandonPHX, I don’t have a rail. It might be great for very small subjects but I have always had good success with just incrementing the focus ring – microscopically. There are some tiny hairs on the lower edge of that leaf and then it falls OOF – I never seem to go far enough with a stack. There is an area on its UL edge where the bright BG spot doesn’t match well – thanks! I had not noticed that and will fix it.

@Shirley_Freeman, I wonder if the description of Composite should be refined. It seems to be aimed at things more like replacing a sky from a completely different scene. Maybe add a third option for a focus stack? The leaves on this are quite different from our “Southern” Magnolias. They are the size of tobacco leaves. I’ll have to look next time I’m there but I haven’t seen them littering the ground. The Southern Magnolia does have a much stronger and more wonderful smell.

1 Like

Wonderful shot, Diane. Nice focus stacking. I like the UL bright area as is. IMHO it adds depth to this shot and makes it more dramatic.

Hi,
The lighting on this magnolia is fantastic. Exposure is spot on and I like this one as presented…Jim

I think adding a Stack option would be good. Right now I don’t say it’s a composite, but try to hit the multiple exposures tag instead. That’s more like what it is rather than combining two different images that were probably taken at different times and/or locations. To me a composite photo is one that creates a completely new scene - something that didn’t exist until the photographer put them together. A focus stack is a single scene that does exist in the way presented, but stacking allows for that DOF stretch that we all love.

So…this flower shot is just amazing. It has what I call “lickable light” - yup, light so sweet you just want to lick it. And the details are wonderful without overwhelming that creamy light. So worth the effort you put in.

Lovely Diane. A very pretty flower, well focused and with soft creamy petals. The way the lines on the leaves encircled the blossom is eye catching as well. If mine I would also tone down the bright spot of bg.

Diane, you are probably right on the stacking not meant to be listed as composite. I haven’t done stacking, so just in my mine it was more than one image/exposure. So, I am thinking (not sure that is a good idea), that what Kris said was probably the best we have right now, multiple exposure. It really isn’t a bid deal that you do that even, probably, as you have always listed it as stacking, and how shots. I think the composite tab was added for those images where maybe a new sky was put into the image. I agree with everyone that it is a wonderful image.

Diane
This is simply gorgeous. Great detail. :clap:

Exquisite! It’s a beautiful flower and you found the character and created a beautiful portrait.

Wonderful image. Magnolia flowers are so magnificent with the graceful flow of their petals surrounding the center. You’ve done an admirable job with this image. I love it!

Thanks everyone! It was very special to finally get to see this tree in bloom!

Wonder photo Diane. I love the color and details that was captured. I have a good focus rail but do not use it much. The main reason I always thought it was used is for very fine adjustments or keep the macro at 1:1. I am still learning how to take good flower photos. Great photo!!!

Diane: Sorry to be so late to this party but this is a truly marvelous shot. Love the subject and the lighting especially and you used your long lens rig with real skill. As for the composite question, I agree with Kris that a stack is not really a composite but merely a way to manipulate DOF. I do think the question when posting is aimed at those who are replacing major elements in a frame. With all the AI options out there reality can be pretty seriously altered. >=))>

Great image of this beauty. I discovered this tree in bloom a few days ago near our house, and I’m waiting for one bud low down to open. The other blooms are too high up. They have a great scent in Korea. And unlike the spring species we get, this one seems to stagger its blooms. This shot of yours really inspires me to have a go, if the bud opens!