Magnolia sieboldii

Last weekend I made a trip to the northern part of South Korea. In the wilder valleys this medium-sized tree was in bloom in several places, often on steep , rocky slopes. In the early morning I found it being fed on by beetles where the purple stamens had opened. There was a mild and pleasant scent from the 3-4 inch flowers. The early morning light was not good for photos, but then, one afternoon, I came across this tree with a low flower backlit by the sun slanting through the larger trees.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comment welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Photo 1: D500 + 105mm macro lens 1/160 f 13 ISO 1250 25 % crop

Photo 2: (below): D500 + 105mm 1/400 f6.3 ISO 400 minimal crop

No flash used; Topaz Denoise - Shadows/Highlights in PShop - Topaz Sharpen

Both of these are quite beautiful and I like the compositions - they’re not typical of how many people would shoot these and I appreciate that. The second has such terrific dappling - tough to do and especially with anything white. Great job. The first shows the flower really well, but I think you could hit the purple channel luminance slider a touch to bring up the color better. Looks like a great location and subject.

Mike: I love light like this and think you handled it well. I do prefer the first image. In the second the leaf is so dominant that I initially had a hard time finding the flower. Nice find and a fine capture. >=))>

Beautiful, Mike. The OOF backgrounds in both images work well for me. I also prefer the first photo, the composition and view of the bug are great. Very nicely done.

Both images present the subject well. Obviously the first showcases the blossom with wonderful backlighting. But for some reason I find the wildness and unique perspective of the second much more interesting. I’d take either for my portfolio .