Magnolia flower

I had a hard time isolating the flower from the other flowers on the tree, it was loaded. This dof seemed to work best, also added some vignetting in post to darken the white spots. iso400, 1/2000,f6.3 tripod mount pentax k1-ll
All comments welcome .

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below. instagram

m.a.kimpton

1 Like

Tree flowers always seem to be difficult to isolate, Mike, but you did a nice job here. I like the depth of field you chose and the blossom is beautiful. I don’t know what software you’re using, but masking the flower and pretty much eliminating the background blossoms might work even better.

Thank you Dennis , that would be a smarter way to go. :slight_smile:

Hi MIke. I agree that cleaning up the background would improve the image. My process is different than Dennis’ but the result would be basically the same. I am attaching a quick rework for your consideration. I outlined the flower with the quick selection tool. Hit inverse and then cloned out at a reduced opacity the background flowers. Hit inverse again and brightened the subject magnolia blossom. Then hit deselect.

I like Patricia’s reworking. A diffuser would help with the direct light.

Don

Hi Patricia, Thank you for reworking this photo, it is greatly improved. I do not know how to get around the software yet. This is what I wanted but did not know how to get there. :slight_smile:

Thank you Don, good advise :slight_smile: