Magnolia Blossom

Magnolia blossom
pentax K1-ll ,100mm macro ,tripod
ISO 400
1/800,F5.6
All comments welcomed
Hope the size is correct :slight_smile:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below .m.a.kimpton
1 Like

Mike, I don’t think I have ever attempted to photograph a bud to a Magnolia tree. You captured the whites nicely. Love the angle through the image for composition. The out of focus background supports the bud. This probably would fit better in the Flora category, and I would be glad to move it for you and you would like, but that is your call.

Thank you Shirley, if you think it would be better in flora go ahead and move it. I was not sure about what group. Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

Hi Mike, very nicely done. I like the whites as presented and the detail is fine too. A pleasing composition as Shirley mentions.

Many thanks Allen, I appreciate you taking the time to comment. :slight_smile:

Mike: Really good capture of this bud. My only small nit is the light bokeh spot in the URC. I think I would make that go away. I think you hit the sweet spot with your sizing on this one. I did move it to Flora as well. Top notch shot. >=))>

Many thanks Bill ,I appreciate your help and critiques :slight_smile:

The texture of the flower pod gives this image the interest needed to make it successful. Technically you have sharp focus where needed, smooth background and a good composition. The cold weather this spring in combination with snow has eliminated the possibility of photographing the beautiful magnolia flowers. Hope you post an open bloom for us to view.

Mike, an excellent work with a f/5,6 and with that angle. I love the sudden stark contrast between sharpness and softness.

Thank you Patricia and Giuseppe, I greatly appreciate your input :slight_smile: I will see what I can do about an open blossom :slight_smile:

A very fine image, Mike. The focus on the sharp feather-like detail below the emerging petals sets off the softness of the flower bud to perfection. Taken against a lovely backdrop - a first rate shot !

Mike,

Again Bill took care of only not. The dynamic range of this picture enabled you to capture the texture perfectly. Well done…Jim

Many thanks Ian and Jim, I appreciate the feed back :slight_smile: