Magnolia

Made this image about 6 weeks ago. I wasn’t too sure about this one as the dof is pretty shallow even @ f/13. Wind was a factor in limiting aperture. I would like to know what others think.

What technical feedback would you like if any? any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 7DII + 180/3.5 + tripod
f/13, 1/400, ISO 800
DPP4, PSCC, Nik detail extractor, Topaz noise reduction

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

When you’re working really small subjects, depth of field is sure a challenge. However, I think this image works very well with exactly what you have. The off-white petals fade nicely from out of focus into focus and back out again and the transition in the center of the flower works well for my taste.

Ravi, I have found Magnolia blooms to be quite challenging. This view works very well. The brightness and color shifts in the petals along with the sharpness change work well at pulling my eyes to the center.

Ravi, I agree with Dennis and Mark on this image. Nicely done.

Beautiful Ravi. I also like the soft effect you’ve gotten here. Very nicely done.

Magnolias are great subjects and I like your composition and colors in the image. I do wish for more sharpness in the folds of the center of the flower but the gradual detail loss in the petals gives the image a softer, painterly feel.

Ravi: I like your comp and DOF/POF choice. My first impression was that this is a little dark. I boosted the exposure a half stop and for my eye it looks a bit more vibrant. Back to you. >=))>

Thanks Bill. I like your repost. It does look better brighter.